The lovely Jess over at Too Cute-icle has nominated me for a Liebster Award! Thanks Jess :)
Edit: I was also lucky enough to be nominated by Madison of Apple Lacquer, Kerry of Just Talk Nails and Kristina of Adore-A-Polish so a big thanks to them!
Edit #2: I'm going to answer their questions below as well, because I think it'd be rude not to! I've taken out duplicate questions though.
The Liebster Award is for up and coming bloggers with less than 200 followers, and it's a great way to spread some love around the blogging community.
The rules of this award are:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs!
Jess has set some questions for me to answer:
1. Why did you start playing with polish?
I've always enjoyed nail polish because it's the one beauty product that isn't affected by my eczema. I started really getting into it a few months ago when I discovered the 'nail art' tag on Tumblr. It's so inspiring to see what people can create with a few colours and some tools!
2. What is your favorite thing to do with your nails?Just applying plain old polish of any kind makes me happy. I suppose my favorite types to use are glitterbombs, duochromes, holographics, flakies - anything with a bit of bling.
3. Cats or dogs?
Oh dear, a hard question - I prefer cats but I'm really allergic to them! Much less allergic to dogs, but I got chased by some large dogs that got loose from a neighbour when I was about 3 years old, so I'm pretty scared of anything that barks. Small calm dogs are fine though!
4. Favorite thing to do on your day(s) of relaxation?
On an ideal day of relaxation, I'd drink coca-cola, eat popcorn and play World of Warcraft, though I'd fit in a manicure these days too. If money wasn't an object, I'd go to a spa for hours of treatments and then take my boyfriend out for dinner at our favourite restaurant.
5. Favorite food?? (RECIPE linkaaageee if it is a dish ;))
My favourite meal would be a giant dish of macaroni cheese, made with mature cheddar, topped with sliced tomatoes and crispy bacon bits, and served with petit pois. MMM. No link for a recipe, sadly.
6. What is your #1 Lemming polish?
Zoya - Ivanka, at the moment! It's not a rare polish but it's not easy to get Zoya polishes over here, without larger shipping costs (if I'm wrong and you know a website please let me know!)
7. What inspired you to turn your polish hobby into a blogging hobby?
I have a WoW blog that I really enjoy keeping, which got me involved in the WoW community and has made me some really great friends over the last year and a half. When nail polish looked like it was going to be A Thing(tm) for me, it just made sense to blog about this too and hopefully I'll meet some lovely polish addicts while I'm at it!
8. If you could design your own indie polish, what would it look like?
Hmm. I think it would be a teal-leaning turquoise base, with a subtle shimmer, containing opalescent flakies and medium size copper hex glitters.
9. House is on fire. What do you grab to take out? Only time to grab one thing (weight is not an object, pretend you are super strong)
My cello, which was a birthday present from my lovely boyfriend. Everything else could be replaced, but that means the world to me.
10. Favorite song?
Mrs Potter's Lullaby, by Counting Crows
11. Favorite polish you own?
Chanel - Peridot, closely followed by Orly - Ingenue.
What is the landscape like where you live?
Leeds has some relatively big hills, for a city! This is the view from my balcony:
As you can see, it's not flat but it's not that hilly around here. Cambridgeshire, where I come from, is almost completely flat, so this amount of incline is enough for me.
What is your favorite type of pants?
What do is your dream job?
My dream job would be either a volcanologist or a storm chaser.
What is your absolute least favorite polish?
I have a peachy coloured mini Orly that I bought on a whim that is impossible to get right on my nails - it's for french manicures I think, and I'm awful at sheer colour in that way.
What is your dream date?
A really good meal, followed by some cocktails and a stay in a really swanky hotel suite!
What is your least favorite TV show?
I don't watch a huge amount of TV because I'm busy gaming most of the time. I used to get really irate hearing about Big Brother constantly, when it was on Channel 4.
What was your biggest nail polish fail?
I think my biggest fails are to come! For this question though, probably all the times I painted my nails when I was young because I'm sure there was polish everywhere, no clean-up, no cuticle care, no topcoat...I could go on. You don't really know much about all that at 15, as the eldest in the family :)
What was your first boyfriend or girlfriend like?
Crikey, that would have been a few years back! Nice enough I guess, because I never went out with horrible guys, but they're all an ex for a reason.
What's your favorite color for toe nail polish?
I prefer lighter colours rather than vampy ones for toes because my toenails are so weird and little. I have Essie Turquoise & Caicos on them at the moment and I'm loving it.
How many nail polishes are currently in your collection?
97 - so close to 100, I obviously need to buy a few more...
When did your polish addiction begin?
About March this year. I thought it was one of my random fixations for a while and then realised it was something I really enjoyed reading and thinking about, so I started buying polishes and the rest, as they say, is history.
What is your biggest nail polish lemming at the moment?
OK, I actually got hold of Ivanka since I answered the first questions, so what I really want is Every Month Is Oktoberfest from the new OPI Germany collection.
Do you prefer summer brights or vampy darks?
I'm becoming more open to colours I wouldn't have tried even half a year ago, so I don't really have a preference any more. I like rich colours, but that can be a rich fuchsia pink or a rich navy blue!
Other than nail polish what beauty product can you not live without?
Lipbalm! I use Burt's Bees beeswax lipbalm because it's the only one that works for me. Their cuticle balm is great too.
What is your favourite type of nail art to do?
Come back and ask me again when I've got up the courage to try some! I like seeing mermaid tail, dotticures, and shaped tape manicures on other people.
What is your favourite and least favourite nail finish? (Duochrome, glitter etc)
Favourite so far has to be anything with flakies showing, and my least favourite is frosted polishes.
What is your best product for nail strengthening, growth? What base and top coat do you use?
See my Nail Files: Bare All Tag post for details on those!
Do you keep any back ups of your polishes?
I haven't so far, but I'm tempted to get a backup of Maxfactor Fantasy Fire. I'm a bit torn on backups - on one hand it's money I don't need to spend that could go on polishes I'll actually use, but on the other I'd be sad if I couldn't replace a much-loved polish. This will probably get figured out as I go on, and I expect I'll buy backups of limited editions or absolute favourites!
What nail polish trend are you loving right now?
Block colour manicures, any shapes!
What trend does everyone love, but you despise?
I don't despise anything but I don't understand the really long, shaped-into-things false nails. An inch from fingertip to nailtip? Crazy.
If you could spend a month anywhere in the world, where would you go?
On an average day out (shopping or out for lunch), what is your shoe style of choice?
Ballet flats - pretty but comfortable.
What is one piece of jewelry that you can't leave the house without?
The ring my parents bought me for my 21st.
What is your guilty pleasure food item?
Popcorn! Salted/sweet/toffee-coated, just not buttered please.
What is the handbag of your dreams?
I'd love a Mulberry tote.
Here are 11 factoids about me:
1. I live in Leeds, UK with my boyfriend and two dwarf hamsters affectionately referred to as 'The Ladies'.
2. I'm 25 years old now, and still feel the same as I did when I was 18, although I'm a little tireder nowadays. I try not to get too jaded about the world, which gets harder as the years go on.
3. I have a BSc in Chemistry, and I studied at University of York. SCIENCE <3 I still miss living on a campus full of ducks, but the geese were terrifying.
4. I don't really like to sleep at nights. The only time my brain feels awake is about 7pm - 1am and it means my sleep pattern is always screwy.
5. Following on from that, I drink far too much coffee and coca-cola to get through the workday!
6. I work in University admin but I'm applying for a radiography degree in September \o/ it's tremendously exciting, even if it would mean keeping my nails short and possibly bare/natural-looking during placements.
7. I can play cello, clarinet and piano to varying degrees of mediocrity - not having lessons in cello anymore needs to change - and can bash out a simple tune on almost any instrument. Not the bagpipes or didgeridoo though, those are beyond me.
8. I have no appendix! Neither do I have any wisdom teeth (yet). Plus, my thumbs are a bit double-jointed:
9. I play World of Warcraft a lot! The two of us started in January 2010 and never really stopped. I'm an officer in a really lovely guild and we've had the privilege to raid with some great players for the last year or so. You can armory stalk me here if you play :)
10. I'm a bit fussy with cataloguing my belongings. Our DVDs and CDs are arranged alphabetically, with any series in chronological order. My nail polishes are sorted by colour in a rainbow, as a close as I can get it, and our bookshelves are sorted by genre and then alphabetically. Some people would say that's going too far, but really I don't know how else people find the things they want! Do they just...look for it? That's going to take too long, in this house.
11. Lastly, I'm a big fan of reading, especially the sci-fi/fantasy genre. I miss having a commute that I could read on because it's harder to fit in in at the moment.
My 11 questions are:
1. Why did you start your blog?
2. Has it been the experience you hoped for?
3. What about your blogging so far are you most proud of?
4. Who was the inspiration for your blog and its contents, if anyone?
5. What is your favourite social media tool? (eg Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook)
6. Who would you invite to dinner if it could be anyone you wished, real and/or fictional?
7. Who is your favourite author?
8. What are your other hobbies, apart from the one you blog about?
9. Sweet or savoury foods?
10. The one thing you'd like to own more than anything else?
11. The one thing you'd find hardest to give away?
Finally, I'm tagging these bloggers! I've tried to make sure you haven't been selected before:
2. Cat's Adventures in Lacquer Land
3. Mani Curiously
4. My Nail Polish Addiction
5. My Nail Polish Online
6. Painted Nails and Baking Scales
7. Polka Polish
8. Polish Cart - post here
9. Six Feet In Heels
10. The Polished Zombie - post here
11. Young and Polished
Thanks again Jess, Madison, Kerry and Kristina! I'm honoured!