That's my nails fresh from a polish removal session. My cuticles were growing out, I had a few hangnails and most of my nails needed a reshape. I've been biting the sides of my fingers again too :(
Here they are after some cuticle work and a bit of TLC. Still in rough condition, so I need to stop stress biting soon. Filing into the correct shape is getting easier but my main challenge has been learning to file into a shape that matches the nail bed, not the white tips. Before I was wearing polish every day, I thought it looked weird not to follow the white tip shape, but it made my painted nails look odd. Everyone has to learn sometime, right?
I don't have perfect hands and nails by any means, but I'm lucky to have strong nails that grow well. I don't have the longest nail beds but I like the way they look, whether they're mid-length like this or down to the fingertips, so I'm lucky in that way too.
There's some staining going on, which I think is the beginning of what I hear is the polish addicts' curse - go without polish long enough to get rid of the stains (gasp, the horror), or maintain the stains by wearing polish to cover them. What a dilemma...I know what my solution will be!
There are some of my manicure things. I forgot to add the hand cream I mention below and the Boots Expert Nail Strength Solution that I use *facepalm* but there we go.
The Nail Files: Bare All Tag rules/questions:
- Include a photo of your clean, product free, natural nails: see above for before and after shots!
- Preferred length: Short to Mid, because some of my nails spoon when they grow too long - the first picture above is as long as I let them get.
- Preferred shape: Squoval, but sometimes they lean towards square by accident.
- Favorite base coat: Orly Bonder, but I haven't tried any other big-name basecoats yet.
- Favorite top coat: Seche Vite but again, I haven't tried any other well-known ones (recommendations for either, that I can pick up in UK for £10 or under, are welcome!)
- Favorite cuticle cream/oil: Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Cream
- Favorite hand cream: Ahava Dead Sea Water Mineral Hand Cream, which was a gift but can be bought from www.ahava.co.uk
- Favorite nail clippers: I use Boots ones if I'm taking off more than a couple of millimetres, otherwise I file them down a little.
- Favorite nail file: At the moment I'm using a large emery board, from Boots I think! Coveting a glass file having heard good things about them.
- Favorite remover: Cutex removers so far.
- Self or professional manicure: I do my own but try and go for a professional full manicure a few times a year.
- How often do you polish: It depends on how much free time I have. Since I started blogging, it's been about twice a week but the urge is growing to do it more often. I don't always have good light for manicures and end up removing them later without ever having photographed them, so I'm hopefully making a DIY lightbox this weekend to fix that.
- Most wanted nail product: At the moment, it's the new gold flakes topcoat that Zoya released a picture of!
- Be sure to include the nail files bare all tag in your post/video response
I'd love to see some of your bare nails - leave a link to your bare nails post in the comments if you make one and I'll edit them into the article :)
Thanks for the post idea, Lou!